Sunday 22 September 2013

Walter Crane – part 11

Walter Crane (1845–1915) was an English artist and book illustrator. He is considered to be the most prolific and influential children’s book creator of his generation and, along with Randolph Caldecott and Kate Greenaway. His work featured some of the more colourful and detailed beginnings of the child-in-the-garden motifs that would characterise many nursery rhymes and children's stories for decades to come. He was part of the Arts and Crafts movement and produced an array of paintings, illustrations, children's books, ceramic tiles and other decorative arts.

For full biographical notes on Walter Crane see part 1, and for earlier works see parts 1 - 10 also.

This is part 11 of a 12-part post on the children's books of Walter Crane:


1893 Illustrations to Shakespeare's Tempest:


Front cover

Title page

Prospero: "By accident most strange, bountiful fortune. now my dear lady, hath mine enemies brought to this shore. -"

The Dance of the nymphs and the reapers. Act IV Sc I

A noise of hunters is heard. Enter divers spirits in the shape of hounds and hunt them about: PROSPERO and ARIEL setting them on. Act IV Sc I

Miranda: "If you'll sit down, I'll bear your logs the while. Pray give me that I'll carry it to the pile" Act III Sc I

Boatswain:- "Hence! What are these roarers for the name of kings?"

Ferdinand:- Most sure, the Goddess on whom these airs attend! - Act I Sc II

Caliban:- As I told thee before, I am subject to a tyrant: A sorcerer - Act III. Sc II

Miranda: Sweet Lord you play me false. Ferdinand: No my dearest love, I would not for the world. Act V. Sc. I


1898 A Floral Fantasy in an Old English Garden:

Front cover

Board paper

End-paper

End-paper

Title page
































































































































End-paper

Board-paper

Back cover

2 comments:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.